This post has been edited by Shep on Nov 30 2019, 10:17 AM
PMEmail Poster
Wizard
Posted: Nov 28 2018, 07:15 PM
Quote Post

DH Tigermpth (A17)

Group: Members
Member No.: 168

Hi I just saw this one as I haven't been here for a while. This is my understanding of AFC markings.

1 Squadron (Middle East):

No Identifying squadron markings or individual aircraft codes. The exception is their Bristol Fighters had a combination of different coloured wings seemingly identifying individual aircraft.

2 Squadron (France):

When they went to France in their DH.5s they had a narrow white band around the fuselage just in front of the tail. Individual aircraft had the codes (6 aircraft per Flight) A-F for A Filght, 1-6 for B Flight and U-Z for C Flight. The individual code were on each side of the fuselage but I haven't been able to confirm whether the code was repeated on the upper wing, as was standard for RFC aircraft at the time, or not.

When they reequipped with SE.5As in late 1917, the squadron marking was a horizontal boomerang (point down - V) on the fuselage and spine. The comments on the individual aircraft codes remained the same as for their DH.5s except the code WAS repeated on the upper port wing.

In about March/April 1918 the squadron marking changed to a vertical white bar forward of the cockade. The individual aircraft codes remained the same except the upper wing code moved to the starboard wing.

3 Squadron (France):

When they originally flew their RE.8s to France the squadron marking was a white disc on the fuselage sides. Later, sometime in 1918 they dispensed with squadron markings altogether. As to individual aircraft codes - I do not know. They probably had 6 aircraft per flight but there are instances of codes outside the range of A-F, 1-6, U-Z. They were about to start reequipping with Arab powered Bristol Fighters when the War ended.

4 Squadron (France, Germany):

When they took their Camels to France around Christmas 1917 their squadron marking was the same as 2 Squadron's SE.5As. I.e. Horizontal boomerangs point down. They were on the fuselage sides and spine. When the squadron went to France they had 6 aircraft per flight (A-F, 1-6, U-Z). The aircraft code was on the fuselage sides and upper starboard wing. In March/April 1918 the squadron marking changed to a vertical white bar in the same manner as 2 Squadron. About the same time squadrons equipped with rotary-engined aircraft had their establishment changed to 8 aircraft per flight. The individual codes then became A-H for A Flight, 1-8 for B Flight and S-Z for C Flight. I have also seen pictures of aircraft "J" which could be the squadron spare and COs aircraft. When the squadron reequipped with Snipes in October 1918 the marking schemes remained the same.

That's a short description of the AFC's marking system for the combat squadrons as far as I know it. I'll have a think and let you know about the English based training squadrons later.
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0311 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]