Powered by Invision Power Board

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Prefix Letters Before Mk. Numbers, What do the various prefixes stand for?
DesTROYer
Posted: Mar 22 2018, 01:39 PM
Quote Post

New User

Group: Members
Member No.: 39,509

Hi everyone, My name is Troy, I live in Narre Warren South Victoria. My hobbies include modelling, movies and sleep. Work allows me to do all of that.

Forgive me if this is posted elsewhere, I had a search for Prefix codes in the search bar and nothing came up. I'm a modeller of mainly ADF aircraft, and ADF Serials is one of the first places I look when researching new kits to buy and the histories of certain aircraft. An invaluable resource. Something I have found confusing when looking up planes and then searching for a relevant kit to buy is the prefixes for the Mk.'s listed here. For example, a Supermarine Spitfire Mk.VIII is listed here under a few types. LF.VIII, L.VIII and HF.VIII for a start. Am I wrong in assuming that these may stand for different rolls each type fulfilled? Such as, on planes that do both air to air and air to ground today might get a F/A designation like the F/A-18B? A bomber gets a B Prefix like the B-25J.

If so, is there a list of what all of these prefixes stand for? If not, what do they stand for?

Thanks...

This post has been edited by DesTROYer on Mar 22 2018, 05:39 PM
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
batman
Posted: Mar 29 2018, 05:24 PM
Quote Post

Lockheed Hercules (A97)

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,524

Troy,

UK:
I am no Spitfire expert, but the LF.VIII and HF.VIII referred to different models or mods of Merlin engines - "LF" was for Low-level Fighter, "HF" for Hi-level Fighter.
You will see other UK examples, for instance the Mosquito:
F.II Fighter
T.III Trainer
B.IV Bomber
FB.VI Fighter Bomber
PR.XVI Photo Recon
Aus prodn FB.40, PR.41, T.43 - as above.

US:
As I am sure you are aware, this should not [repeat NOT] be confused with the US designation system. In 1962, this was made all-service designators right across the US military, examples:
F-111, F-14, F-15, F-16, F-22, F-35 - Fighters
F/A-18 - Fighter Attack
B-52, B-57, B-1, B-2 - Bomber
A-7, A-10 - Attack
C-130, C-17 - Cargo
P-3, P-8 - Patrol

You will find complete listings of course on the internet,
cheers
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0282 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]