Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Early Crash Survivors Fates
Dean
Posted: Nov 2 2009, 09:47 AM
Quote Post

ADF Serials Aircrew Research

Group: ADF Serials Team
Member No.: 20

I was doing a spot of online researching yesterday, looking at finding the service history of some of the survivors of accidents where there were casualties. One of those accidents was the crash of a Cirrus Moth A7-68 that occured on 24 Nov 38.

The crew were Plt Off P. McDonough (QFI) who was instructing Air Cadet J. Costello and as a result of the crash only Air Cadet Costello survived.

Using the WWII Nominal Roll as the start I searched for J. Costello and got 10 hits. Looking at the enlistment dates only one of these members had an enlistment date that preceded the date of the accident. That date was 19 Jul 38.

While the Nominal Roll doesn't state his rank or discharge date it does state that his squadron at the time of his leaving the service as being "10 MR SQN" and his service number (O384) indicated he was an officer by the "O" in front of the numbers. This was a surprise as the O wasn't introduced until the early 50's and together with the "MR" included in the "10 SQN" this lead me to believe this was during the Lincoln's service with the RAAF. Did Air Cadet Costello have a Post War career in the RAAF.

Looking through the NAA website it wasn't long before I was 99.9% certain that Air Cadet J. Costello was WGCDR John Peter Costello O384, CO of 10 (MR) Sqn and the Captain of Lincoln A73-64 on its ill fated mercy mission transporting a new born baby to Brisbane when it crashed on Mt Superbus, QLD.

It is surprising what historical links can be found purely by chance and this was something I didn't expect to find.
PMEmail Poster
gordon
Posted: Nov 3 2009, 09:41 AM
Quote Post

ADF Serials Webmaster

Group: ADF Serials Admin
Member No.: 30

Very interesting co-incidence Dean.

I've been up to the crash site at Mt Superbus and it is very high up on the mountain. They didn't miss it by much. An incredible tragedy.

Gordon
PM
gordon
Posted: Nov 4 2009, 10:15 AM
Quote Post

ADF Serials Webmaster

Dean,

Do u happen to know anything about John Costello's war time service? The squadrons he was with etc?

Gordon
PM
Dean
Posted: Nov 5 2009, 12:20 PM
Quote Post

ADF Serials Aircrew Research

Group: ADF Serials Team
Member No.: 20

Not as yet, Gordon. I've also advised DVA who administer the WW2 Nominal Roll about Costellos rank and fate which wasn't recorded.

This post has been edited by Dean on Nov 5 2009, 07:49 PM
PMEmail Poster
gordon
Posted: Nov 8 2009, 03:02 PM
Quote Post

ADF Serials Webmaster

Ah very good Dean about the DVA.

I look forward to your post when u have those details about his WW2 record.

Gordon
PM
gph
Posted: Mar 6 2010, 05:22 PM
Quote Post

ADF Serials Promotion Co-ord

Member No.: 63

Any update on this saga Dean? Fascinating stuff.

There are a few more recent examples too of members either surviving a prang and going on to much bigger things or surviving a prang only to be lost in another much later on.
PMEmail Poster
gph
Posted: Mar 6 2010, 05:26 PM
Quote Post

ADF Serials Promotion Co-ord

Member No.: 63

I can think of two dual ejectees in John Kindler RAAF and Andy Sinclair RAN/RN, do we know of any others?
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0366 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]