Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Where's The Tomcat?
Dean
Posted: Mar 17 2006, 08:20 AM
Quote Post

ADF Serials Aircrew Research

Group: ADF Serials Team
Member No.: 20

Some years ago there was a report that the Museum at Nowra would be getting a Grumman F-14 Tomcat for display. Does any one know what happened to this? Or was the report false?
PMEmail Poster
Brendan Cowan
Posted: Mar 17 2006, 09:34 AM
Quote Post

Messageboard Co-ordinator

Group: ADF Serials Admin
Member No.: 48

Dean,

I have a vague recollection of hearing that as an offer some time back.

So either we both have vivid imaginations or there was once something to that rumour.

Now would be the ideal time with the fleet drawdown of the big cat.

BC
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Demon50
Posted: Mar 17 2006, 11:43 AM
Quote Post

Lockheed Hercules (A97)

Member No.: 47

I also recall reading about the Tomcat and that one had actually been delivered to Nowra ; I think that a serial was mentioned as well.
PM
darren.crick
Posted: Mar 17 2006, 01:45 PM
Quote Post

ADF Serials Webmaster

Member No.: 2

I do remember this, so you are not all getting old timers!!!!! :P

I spoke with someone about this a while ago (I'll keep names out of it), what I was told was that one had been allocated, it was ready to be shipped from the states but it arrived late at the dock. It was to come over on a ship being sold to Australia (Kanimbla???) as the aircraft arrived late the ship departed and so did our chances of seeing the tomcat at Nowra in the short term anyway.

I also asked, so why not send it on another ship. The answer was that by the time one was aranged or could be aranged (at the right price) the museum was no longer affiliated with the navy. The US Navy didnt want it going to a private museum.

I'm not saying thats all true... its third hand. but now that the Navy is due to take control of the museum at nowra again, it may happen if people want it to.

It would be nice if someone could confirm what I was told.
PMUsers Website
Demon50
Posted: Mar 17 2006, 02:50 PM
Quote Post

Lockheed Hercules (A97)

Member No.: 47

Hi Darren et al

I've also made some enquiries today and found out that an F14 had been crated ready for sea transport to Australia and was waiting on the docks (San Diego ?)

However, the US ship allocated to the task was deployed elsewhere only days before so the F14 languished for many months awaiting another vessel. As other priorities took over, shipment of the aircraft to Australia had to wait.

This occurred several years ago and I don't know what has happened to the aircraft since or if it will ever come to Australia.

Re my comment about it being delivered to Australia. I confused that with the delivery of an A4. Sorry !
PM
Dean
Posted: Mar 17 2006, 07:12 PM
Quote Post

ADF Serials Aircrew Research

Member No.: 20

Damn it Demon,
I read the first part of your post and said "WOO HOO".

Then I read the rest of it. Major letdown. I really would like to see Museums in Australia get away from the small collections of Aussie aircraft they have and get a greater international flavour. I think this would see an increase in numbers to all museums.

Would really love to see a Tomcat in Oz. Even better a SR-71.
PMEmail Poster
darren.crick
Posted: Mar 17 2006, 10:07 PM
Quote Post

ADF Serials Webmaster

Dean,

I know of one museum which even tried to get a concorde and I heard others did too!!!!

Darren
PMUsers Website
darren.crick
Posted: Mar 18 2006, 10:20 PM
Quote Post

ADF Serials Webmaster

a confirming email recieved tonight helps with a change to the story, aparently the Tomcat missed the boat only due to weather...

doesnt that suck!!!
PMUsers Website
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0301 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]