Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Adf-serials Telegraph, Volume 10 Issue 5
Shep
Posted: Aug 25 2020, 10:23 AM
Quote Post

General Dynamics F-111 (A8)

Group: Members
Member No.: 39,510

The 2020 Spring edition, Volume 10 Issue 5, of the ADF-Serials Telegraph is now available from the "Our Newsletter" tab on the home page.

Hope you like it.
PMEmail Poster
batman
Posted: Aug 26 2020, 02:22 PM
Quote Post

Lockheed Hercules (A97)

Member No.: 3,524

Reply to Derek Buckmaster
"I'm fascinated by the "digital" colour chips... what technology are you using for colour matching, what colour standards are they following (CMYK, RGB?) and how do you recommend readers make use of them? Can screens and printers be calibrated to display the colours correctly?"

Hi Derek. I keep it simple - match by Mk.1 Eyeball.

So scan the colour chart as is: just the same as scanning a colour image.
That is, scanning a K3/ colour, or BS381C, or FS595a/b.
Not by RGB or secondary colour readings, or by more complex accurate Munsell or Methuen scales.
Really, for what I am trying to achieve is showing a fairly good representation of the green and of the brown, and where it goes, this is accurate enough - notwithstanding our own individual colour perceptions or standardised monitor settings (and I wouldn't even attempt with printers, LOL).

This provides a colour image on the screen, not perfect!, but close to what I have found subjectively in my references. Adjust in photoshop contrast/brightness to match what I want. Then if anyone is interested to match that image, they can do it from the monitor to their own colour perceptions.

As someone mentioned recently, just doing it by the scanning of colour cards is not considered professionally acceptable in some circles, but achieves my rather simplified aim. To my eye it provides the hue, tone and chroma to be close to the image I am using and should satisfy amateur artists and modellers. But probably not someone painting a real aeroplane!!

If anyone has a better system (other than publishing a book), than by all means present it as a series in our little Newsletter - we are always on the lookout for contributions.

BTW, are you working on a follow-up to the CA-28?
cheers
JB
PMEmail Poster
derekbu
Posted: Aug 26 2020, 09:22 PM
Quote Post

CAC Sabre (A94)

Member No.: 3,826

Hi John,

got it, that puts the "digital" paint chips into context, thanks for that.

Yes, a Wirraway book is in the works following the Ceres book. In fact the Ceres book started out as a chapter of the Wirraway book, but grew too big and I turned it into a book of its own! So now I'm getting back to finishing the "original" book, on the Wirraway. Manuscript about 66% done...

Cheers,
Derek
PMEmail Poster
derekbu
Posted: Aug 26 2020, 09:43 PM
Quote Post

CAC Sabre (A94)

Gordy,

Fascinating Blue on Blue article, thanks.

Did the picture on page 10 get mixed up? I've never seen this aircraft identified as A20-103, as the caption appears to state. And it has the 4Sqn crest on the fixed cowl, not the Ugh cartoon.

Regards,
Derek

Yes Derek,......I see what you mean,..I'll put a correction in next issue. "Unidentified 4Sqn Pic circa post March 1943."

Gordy

Cool Gordy! Thanks. Too bad we can't identify that plane. Aircraft code is obviously a B, D, E or L, but that's as close as we can get...

Cheers,
Derek

This post has been edited by derekbu on Sep 4 2020, 10:40 PM
PMEmail Poster
batman
Posted: Aug 27 2020, 06:02 AM
Quote Post

Lockheed Hercules (A97)

Member No.: 3,524

QUOTE (derekbu @ Aug 26 2020, 09:22 PM)
Hi John,

got it, that puts the "digital" paint chips into context, thanks for that.

Yes, a Wirraway book is in the works following the Ceres book. In fact the Ceres book started out as a chapter of the Wirraway book, but grew too big and I turned it into a book of its own! So now I'm getting back to finishing the "original" book, on the Wirraway. Manuscript about 66% done...

Cheers,
Derek

That's great Derek.
Publishing is very difficult these days, that is why I gave it up and just do my on-line stuff.
I will be a customer for your Wirraway book. The way David Muir did his 'Southern Cross Mustangs' is probably the most cost-effective way of getting out a good product.
cheers
JB
PMEmail Poster
derekbu
Posted: Aug 27 2020, 09:19 AM
Quote Post

CAC Sabre (A94)

Hi John,

with the Ceres book I actually found that self-publishing was very easy!

I used the print-on-demand process from Ingram Spark. Just create a PDF file, upload it for $50 and you're in business. They even sell through Amazon and dozens of other online bookstores. With print on demand, the minimum print run is 1 book, so you don't have to invest thousands on an initial batch.

Cheers!
Derek

This post has been edited by derekbu on Aug 27 2020, 09:42 AM
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0284 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]