Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Mrh90 - Is It The Right Choice ?
Demon50
Posted: May 27 2006, 12:27 PM
Quote Post

Lockheed Hercules (A97)

Group: ADF Serials Team
Member No.: 47

I was browsing through a model shop yesterday and saw a model of the EH101 Merlin helicopter which is in service with the RAF, RN and Italian navies.

It was designed to replace the Sea Kings and is used for a variety of purposes with the RN using it from its Type 22 and 23 frigates as well as larger ships. But it got me thinking as it has a maximum troop capacity of 30. I wondered whether this may have been a better option for Australia than the MRH90 which has a max capacity of 20 troops. I thought that an EH101 could transport an entire platoon whereas the MRH90 can't.

I thought that it would have been a good fit between the Blackhawk and Chinook.

Any thoughts ?
PM
Demon50
Posted: May 27 2006, 01:05 PM
Quote Post

Lockheed Hercules (A97)

Sorry about the repetition of "thought" in the last two paragraphs. Will do better next time.
PM
Dave Masterson
Posted: May 27 2006, 07:50 PM
Quote Post

C-17A Globemaster III (A41)

Group: Members
Member No.: 25

It is a very capable helicopter by the look of things. Trouble is I don't think the hanger on the ANZAC class Frigates would be large enough to house one of them. They are quit a tall aircraft, so it would be no good on the ANZAC's in the ASW role? Seeing as we don't have an aircraft carrier...it would probably be of little value to us, what do you think? I agree though they would have been a good choice as a multi role aircraft if we could effectively put them to sea.

I see that the Americans in February 2005 have chosen the MERLIN through Lockheed Martin to replace the Presidents Seakings. The are to be designated US101.
PMEmail Poster
Demon50
Posted: May 28 2006, 12:04 PM
Quote Post

Lockheed Hercules (A97)

Hi Dave

Thanks for the reply.

As far as I know, there was no requirement for the Army's MRH90 to operate from the ANZAC frigates. However, they would operate from the Navy's bigger ships such as Kanimbla and Manoora if required in the same way the Sea Kings do at present.

And I presume that the Seahawks are the primary ASW helicopters and can operate from the ANZACs.

So getting back to the EH101 Merlin, I still think it may have been a more capable and better option, albeit more expensive, than the MRH90.

But hundreds of MRH90s are being purchased by European nations whereas a little over 100 Merlins have been built which also seems odd.
PM
Demon50
Posted: May 28 2006, 12:04 PM
Quote Post

Lockheed Hercules (A97)

Hi Dave

Thanks for the reply.

As far as I know, there was no requirement for the Army's MRH90 to operate from the ANZAC frigates. However, they would operate from the Navy's bigger ships such as Kanimbla and Manoora if required in the same way the Sea Kings do at present.

And I presume that the Seahawks are the primary ASW helicopters and can operate from the ANZACs.

So getting back to the EH101 Merlin, I still think it may have been a more capable and better option, albeit more expensive, than the MRH90.

But hundreds of MRH90s are being purchased by European nations whereas a little over 100 Merlins have been built which also seems odd.
PM
Demon50
Posted: May 28 2006, 01:10 PM
Quote Post

Lockheed Hercules (A97)

Not long after I posted my last message I saw a headline on the Fairfax Online site saying that Australia is considering another purchase of 34 MRH90s, costing $1.5billion, to replace the Blackhawks, Sea Kings and the "trouble plagued" Seasprites.

By my reckoning that's not a one for one purchase as the original 12 MRH90s were in addition to the existing forces at the time. I didn't read the article as it costs $3.30 !!

The MRH90 was touted as being able to carry 18 fully equipped troops into battle and that Australia was the 11th country to buy the helicopter which has now attracted over 400 orders and options.

But the MRH90 can move one but not quite two infantry sections whereas the bigger Merlin can carry 30 troops (ie a platoon). The smaller Blackhawk can easily move one section.

So me being a closet military planner would go for a mix of Blackhawks and Merlins as you keep your combat units together (sections or platoons).

And I can't see the point of the MRH90 as a Seasprite replacement as it appears that the integration of the software/weapons system is the major problem, not the performance of the airframe. Who is to say we won't have the same problems with integration of the Penguin system on the MRH90 ?

If the RAN is looking to have a helicopter based anti-surface ship strike capability, surely there must be an off the shelf system somewhere in the world. Perhaps the Lynx ?

Anyone have any suggestions ?
PM
Dave Masterson
Posted: May 28 2006, 03:46 PM
Quote Post

C-17A Globemaster III (A41)

Group: Members
Member No.: 25

Bob

Re a copter for the RAN. I thought that the Lynx was in the running during the Seasprite deal, but was knocked out for some reason. Whatever...either way it has cost us(the taxpayer) a lot of money. Maybe they should have just bought more Seahawks. I read a story somewhere that the reason that we purchased the Seasprite was because of the Offshore patrol Vessel(OPV) deal that we had with malaysia. We needed a helo that could operate from these new vessels. However for whatever the reason the deal fell through but we had signed up for the Seasprites. I don't know if there is any truth in this or not. Have you heard anything like this? I am very wise whilst sitting in my armchair, however the Seasprite I reckon will be used for ship to ship, ship to shore utility duties, much like the Squirel.

They should have kept the Wessex and used them with missiles and troop transport roles. :P

Dave
PMEmail Poster
Demon50
Posted: May 28 2006, 11:53 PM
Quote Post

Lockheed Hercules (A97)

Hi Dave

No, I hadn't heard about that deal with the Malaysians.

It's a real mess and like you I think the RAN may just have to use them as utility choppers for the time being.

Cheers

Bob
PM
Demon50
Posted: May 28 2006, 11:54 PM
Quote Post

Lockheed Hercules (A97)

Hi Dave

No, I hadn't heard about that deal with the Malaysians.

It's a real mess and like you I think the RAN may just have to use them as utility choppers for the time being.

Cheers

Bob
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0248 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]