Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Macchi N14-087 Mounted At Cranbourne
Martin Edwards
Posted: Feb 16 2014, 04:48 PM
Quote Post

FA-18F Super Hornet (A44)

Group: ADF Serials Admin
Member No.: 27

Today Cranbourne RSL mounted Macchi N14-087 on its new perch.
Well done to the hard working volunteers including Robin Hiern who took this picture

Attached Image
Attached Image
PM
Martin Edwards
Posted: Feb 16 2014, 05:33 PM
Quote Post

This is what they started with.
I believe all the remaining bits have gone to other Macchi collectors

Attached Image
Attached Image
PM
Martin Edwards
Posted: Feb 16 2014, 07:18 PM
Quote Post

Another view of N14-087 at Cranbourne RSL.

Attached Image
Attached Image
PM
Luig
Posted: Feb 17 2014, 05:01 AM
Quote Post

Group: ADF Serials Team
Member No.: 80

Wow. Thanks for the info. I gather this is Cranbourne near Frankston near HMAS Cerberus? Very good. :D
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Brendan Cowan
Posted: Feb 17 2014, 12:20 PM
Quote Post

Messageboard Co-ordinator

Member No.: 48

Thanks Martin,

Phil, Cranbourne RSL is just about 10 Km inland from Frankston/Seaford.

I'll have to get down there for some photos!

BTW, are my eyes playing up on me, or has she been fitted with the early standard small tip tanks?

I remember seeing a pair for sale in shop at Lilydale many years ago.

Cheers

BC
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Dave Masterson
Posted: Feb 17 2014, 12:44 PM
Quote Post

C-17A Globemaster III (A41)

Group: Members
Member No.: 25

Good to see :D ..and well spotted BC, I think you are correct.
PMEmail Poster
Rod Farquhar
Posted: Feb 17 2014, 08:21 PM
Quote Post

C-17A Globemaster III (A41)

Group: ADF Serials Team
Member No.: 4

Pretty as a picture, well done all.
Rod
PMEmail Poster
Aardvark
Posted: Feb 18 2014, 09:07 PM
Quote Post

General Dynamics F-111 (A8)

Member No.: 3,706

Yes it does look nice all freshly painted and mounted.
But now I am probably going to upset all or nearly all of you with my opinion.
These aircraft were designed to be maintained under a rigorous maintenance regime that required regular inspections and when required repainting.
The RAAF constructed carports at bases to, as far as possible, protect them from the elements, given that they spend most of their time on the ground.
These aircraft will deteriorate when left out in the elements without the benefit of the mentioned maintenance program.
A committee probably made the decision to allocate the funding to complete this project so let’s hope that subsequent committees will have the foresight and funds to be able to ensure the long term maintenance of the aircraft or will they decide, at some point in the future, that it is too costly to maintain/restore and simply vote to have it pulled down and scrapped.
We have some good examples of how what was thought to be a good idea at the time eventually turns into a costly ongoing burden that no one has the funds for or wants to be responsible for; the Raymond Terrace Sabre and the Willowbank Canberra’s.
I recently visited Caloundra and took the opportunity to have a look at Iroquois 1022 on display there. I thought that it looked outstanding, however as I drove away I thought about its long term preservation considering its exposure to the elements, in particular its proximity to the ocean, and thought that the money may have been better spent on a purpose built building to better protect it in the long term.
The decisions made by organisations to display aircraft in this way are obviously made with the best intentions and, at the time, sound reasoning to present them as lasting memorials to the people who operated them. I only hope that these decisions were accompanied by similar planning for and allocation of funding for their long term preservation.
I see firsthand what time and the elements do to older aircraft when they are left unprotected, unmaintained and unloved.
This post in in no way intended to denigrate or criticise those who contributed to the restoration of these aircraft or the decisions to display them as they are, this is my opinion only.
PMEmail Poster
Martin Edwards
Posted: Feb 19 2014, 08:23 PM
Quote Post

I tend to agree with Aardvarks views about good aircraft wasting away on sticks.

However in this case, with no disrespect to Cranbourne RSL or its team of hardworking volunteers, this isn't much of an aircraft to waste.

Let me explain.....

When the Macchis were disposed most were ''plane sets'' offered up. Generally two mismatched fuselage halves, a couple of stripped time expired wings and maybe a set of flying surfaces. (Check through our image gallery)
No canopy, no undercarriage, not even any flying surface fittings or hinges. From this pile of parts Cranbourne has presented a neat display that is pleasing to the eye. The aircraft has a fibreglass replica canopy and upper nose panel. It is completely gutted inside. It really would not be suitable for static display in a museum.
It is mounted literally right on their front door step so one would hope it will be well looked after
I think they have done extremely well in their efforts.

While on the soapbox about Macchis if one discounts those still on defence property either as training aids, gate guards, or in RAAF/RAN museum collections there is a pitifully small number on display in private hands.

South Australian Aviation Museum and RAAFA Bull Creek have the only complete examples that I can think of.

Gippsland Armed Forces Museum at West Sale has a fairly complete looking example albeit without legs (which ironically was obtained by Wellington Council to stick up a pole in Sale)

There are incomplete examples at Moorabbin(Benalla) and Merridan museums.

I believe HARS is sticking one up a pole as well.

Private collectors that I know of in Victoria, Dick Winterburn and Ron Schnieder, have some fuselages, wings, bits and pieces but nothing to really display. I'm not sure what Rob Anderson's collection holds.

Hopefully as the overseas Macchi fleets retire some of the critical bits exported will find their way back home to collectors and museums.
Then there are those at Wagga Wagga......

So the bottom line is that Cranbourne RSL have enabled a lot of people to see a Macchi that otherwise would not. Good on them!
PM
Aardvark
Posted: Feb 26 2014, 07:01 PM
Quote Post

General Dynamics F-111 (A8)

Member No.: 3,706

Martin

No matter how significant or insignificant the aircraft is, it is the practice that I disagree with.

As said earlier all these organisation and/or individuals have the best intentions when they make the decision to put these aircraft on display in this manner but it is the long term effect of the elements that is probably not considered when they do it.

Also as stated earlier we have some classic examples of how this goes wrong. We also have at least one example of how to do it right and that is the Anson at Tamworth Airport.

There was also a proposal to put a Pig On A Stick in Ipswich but luckily that was knocked on the head.

Speaking of Macchi's, one will be arriving at RAAF AAHC in late March, a complete example.
PMEmail Poster
Martin Edwards
Posted: Feb 26 2014, 08:13 PM
Quote Post

Great news about getting the Macchi at RAAHC.
I am sure that you'll let us know its ID when the time comes.
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0245 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]