Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> HMAS Adelaide 01 #LHD02, Launched in Spain 5/07/2012
Warhawk
  Posted: Jul 8 2012, 10:13 PM
Quote Post

ADF Serials Research Co-ord

Group: ADF Serials Admin
Member No.: 82

SECOND AMPHIBIOUS SHIP LANDING HELICOPTER DOCK (LHD02) IS LAUNCHED The hull of the Royal Australian Navy’s second Landing Helicopter Dock has been launched four and half months ahead of schedule in Spain. The launch represented a major milestone in the shipbuilding process and was a significant ceremonial event for the Royal Australian Navy. Construction of the “Adelaide” started with the Steel Cutting ceremony on the 2nd of February 2010, followed by the keel laying on the 18th of February 2011.

The superstructure, combat and communications systems will be consolidated with the hulls in Australia at the BAE Systems shipyard in Williamstown, Victoria. The arrival of the first amphibious ship hull at BAE’s Williamstown dockyard is expected later this year. Once the hull arrives in Melbourne the complex task of marrying the superstructure, hull, combat system and communications system can commence, in preparation for delivery of the first ship to the Australian Defence Force in 2014.

Attached Image
Attached Image
PMEmail Poster
Warhawk
  Posted: Jul 8 2012, 11:00 PM
Quote Post

Meanwhile, further down the River Port: Nu Ship Canberra 02 #LHD01 is ready for the trip to Oz.

The two LHDs ships have to delivered to Australia aboard a semisubmersible rig, akqa floating dock.
The first, NuShip Canberra , will be shipped next August 2012, and will be carried by the floating dock SS Blue Marlin, 224 meters long. The LHDs are 230 meters long and 32 wide, so there will be a bit of a overhang.

To load the ships, the SS Blue Marlin needs a depth of 35 meters, so with only Port City of Langosteira having it, they'll have to move the hull to there from the Building Site fitout Wharf first.

Pictured below is the Hull waiting for uplift onto the SS Blue Marlin at Langosteira, Spain in late May 2012.

With them knocking them out so fast, I wonder whether we should commission them to build #4 Air Defence Destroyer so we can get it earlier then Oz build #1.

It would be cheaper, and as if we don't need two each to defend each LHD rather then 1 or 2 out of 3 AAD's ordered depending on which LHD is favoured!!! Could have been our part in a Spanish Bail out, rather then send money to the IMF!!!

I know its Black or White the issue, but we could get an additional "Grey" out of it!! :blink:

Gordy

Attached Image
Attached Image
PMEmail Poster
Warhawk
Posted: Jul 8 2012, 11:18 PM
Quote Post

A sense of scale per L-61 Juan Carlos 1 , the Fleet Leader.

She's Big,...and we've got two coming!

Where will they fit both of them in Sydney? Considering the current fleet and the extra 3x 6000 tonne ADD's coming? And the Choules? And the 4 odd ANZACs. Not to mention they want a civil Cruiser Terminal put there as well?

:unsure:

On topic, they have found out that a CH-47D can be housed in the aircraft Hanger, though sans rotors, but with Heads still on.

I hear also that the F-35B can fit inside just nicely too,.......16 of them plus 8-10 on deck. What an opportunity for the 2020's given they have a 30 year operational life these ships.

PS: Why have they not plans to install our CEM Aust radar and the same AA Missiles per the ANZACs on them? At least one Mk41 launcher should be placed in them?

Attached Image
Attached Image
PMEmail Poster
Warhawk
Posted: Jul 8 2012, 11:29 PM
Quote Post

I couldn't resist

From keel to operation, 2.5 years per F-105 Cristobal Colon (They classify it a Frigate in Spanish Service)

And after a years service, she looks tired and need of a re-paint.

My Point is, #4 AAD should be built.

Cheers
Gordy :ph34r:

Attached Image
Attached Image
PMEmail Poster
Brendan Cowan
Posted: Aug 5 2012, 12:07 PM
Quote Post

Messageboard Co-ordinator

Member No.: 48

On a (semi) related topic,

I was in Sydney for the day on Thursday, and from the one of the offices that I was visiting in North Sydney, I had a great view across to Garden island.

Of course, sitting together laid up were Kanimbla & Manoora and separted by an Anzac Class (who's penant number I couldn't make out at the distance) was HMAS Choules.

I know that HMAS Choules is receiving a partial refit with equipment from HMAS Manoora, but I couldn't get over the fact that we had sitting together:

- Two LHD's retired before their planned out of service dates.
- Their interim replacement laid up just along the wharf.

It will be great when we finally have an LHD capability back on stream.

Gordy, I hadn't read your comment at the time, but similar thoughts were running through my head:

Where will they fit both of them in Sydney? Considering the current fleet and the extra 3x 6000 tonne ADD's coming? And the Choules? And the 4 odd ANZACs. Not to mention they want a civil Cruiser Terminal put there as well?

Hopefully part of the answer will be that more of them will be seaworthy and deployed on cruise!

BC
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Aardvark
Posted: Aug 5 2012, 09:06 PM
Quote Post

General Dynamics F-111 (A8)

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,706

Pity the Australian Government couldn't supply a correct Australian Flag to hang on the bow instead of the poor excuse for our flag that is displayed.
PMEmail Poster
Warhawk
  Posted: Jan 31 2013, 07:15 PM
Quote Post

Near latest shot of the Canberra "02"

Superstructure all installed

Best
Gordy

Photo DMO

Attached Image
Attached Image
PMEmail Poster
Luig
Posted: Jan 31 2013, 09:16 PM
Quote Post

FA-18F Super Hornet (A44)

Group: ADF Serials Team
Member No.: 80

I did not think youse chaps would be so interested so here is the news...

BAE Systems Williamstown - Final Block Heavy Lift - LHD Superstructure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kaao_1ehONc...player_embedded

"Published on Dec 18, 2012
This timelapse video shows the movement of the final block of the LHD superstructure moving through the BAE Systems Williamstown shipyard and the heavy lift of the block onto the LHD deck."
Warhawk
  Posted: Feb 1 2013, 03:35 PM
Quote Post

Always Mattie!

Great Youtube shot.

Best
Gordy
PMEmail Poster
Michael Louey
Posted: Feb 3 2013, 09:15 AM
Quote Post

Supermarine Spitfire (A58)

Member No.: 99

Hi

My son and I popped down to Williamstown on Australia Day to have a look at HMAS Canbera.

Here are a few photos.

(IMG:https://s20.postimg.org/hzakc5b7x/Visit_HMAS_Canberra_Aust_Day_029.jpg)

(IMG:https://s20.postimg.org/soo94en0t/Visit_HMAS_Canberra_Aust_Day_033.jpg)

(IMG:https://s20.postimg.org/pvzmy4c25/Visit_HMAS_Canberra_Aust_Day_032.jpg)

Cheers

Michael

This post has been edited by Michael Louey on Jul 3 2017, 09:49 PM
PM
Luig
Posted: Feb 4 2013, 05:09 AM
Quote Post

Thanks Michael, what is your impression of the size?
Michael Louey
Posted: Feb 4 2013, 07:59 AM
Quote Post

Hi Luig,

I could only get as close as the public piers but even from there it looks pretty big. I am sure there is heaps of work still to do with the wiring, plumbing, software, etc. but my son thinks it looks ready to sail away ;)

Cheers

Michael
PM
Luig
Posted: Feb 5 2013, 05:24 AM
Quote Post

Thanks Michael, I was wondering if you had any large other ship comparison such as the old aircraft carrier HMAS Melbourne - a regular Melbourne City visitor back in those times.

This post has been edited by Luig on Feb 5 2013, 05:24 AM
Michael Louey
Posted: Feb 5 2013, 08:16 AM
Quote Post

Hi Luig,

A bit hard to tell with comparisons. I only went aboard HMAS Melbourne once and that is a long time ago. I did get a few shots of Melbourne and had a walk on deck and a trip down the elevator!

Not having a chance to walk the decks of Canberra makes a real comparison difficult though the freeboard of Canberra seems much higher than for Melbourne.

Cheers

Michael
PM
Luig
Posted: Feb 5 2013, 11:15 AM
Quote Post

HehHeh. I spent around 5-6 months onboard MELBOURNE and never once used the LIFT! :-) Saw it go up and down a few times though. Ding Ding Ding Ding....

Yeah all that freeboard makes the LHD look like it could topple easily but I guess not.

This post has been edited by Luig on Feb 5 2013, 11:17 AM

Attached Image
Attached Image
Michael Louey
Posted: Feb 25 2015, 08:19 PM
Quote Post

Hi,

Time for an update. My son and I thought it was time to visit Nuship Adelaide before she disappears for long periods off to Sydney. Here are some pictures of her current state on Australia Day 2015

(IMG:https://s20.postimg.org/bcnwiytjh/Aust_Open_Tennis_2015_055.jpg)

(IMG:https://s20.postimg.org/3q6cgc7bh/Aust_Open_Tennis_2015_056.jpg)

(IMG:https://s20.postimg.org/3rga9r959/Aust_Open_Tennis_2015_057.jpg)

(IMG:https://s20.postimg.org/4xka8jxfx/Aust_Open_Tennis_2015_063.jpg)

(IMG:https://s20.postimg.org/id7ay05xp/Aust_Open_Tennis_2015_066.jpg)

Cheers

Michael

This post has been edited by Michael Louey on Jul 3 2017, 09:52 PM
PM
Luig
Posted: Feb 28 2015, 10:50 AM
Quote Post

Via E-mail from miss creants.... :-)

Attached Image
Attached Image
Grumpy Cobra
Posted: Jul 11 2016, 07:38 AM
Quote Post

GAF Mirage III (A3)

Member No.: 1,724

Some news of interest regarding our LHD armament

http://www.janes.com/article/62013/austral...on-phalanx-ciws

bet they install one on the forward flight deck just starboard of the ski jump like the Turkish boat - would normally object to flight deck space being surrendered but in our case it does not matter as we do not operate an air wing in any way, shape or form!
PMEmail Poster
Aardvark
Posted: Mar 29 2017, 08:18 AM
Quote Post

Unfortunate for the ADF that both Canberra and Adelaide are laid up in Sydney with propulsion problems when they could be use for cyclone relief. But Choules is on its way.

PMEmail Poster
Luig
Posted: Mar 30 2017, 05:08 AM
Quote Post

Navy on the Record Response to Andrew Greene reporting 28 Mar 2017 DepDef
Recent reporting by the ABC that “Navy's largest ships unable to join Cyclone Debbie emergency response amid engine troubles” is misleading.

To assert, as the ABC did in its reporting that issues with HMA Ships Canberra and Adelaide has impacted on Defence providing support to anticipated disaster relief support in North Queensland is wrong.

Under the Australian Defence Force's regular planning cycle, HMAS Choules assumed duties as the on line (ready) ship to support any Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief (HADR) requirements in mid-March.

HMAS Choules is currently sailing for Brisbane to forward deploy and embark emergency stores to support the recovery efforts in the North Queensland region should it be required.

It ignores and appears not to understand the fact that the Amphibious Assault Ships HMA Ships Canberra and Adelaide are still in their operational test and evaluation period, and this is the period where issues such as the ones currently being addressed are found. It is precisely why there is a delayed evaluation and introduction into service program to ensure all aspects of the operation of these ships is considered before they reach the Full Operational Capability (FOC).

Both ships have conducted considerable trials and support to operations since being received by Defence with HMAS Adelaide having just returned from Exercise Ocean Explorer off the coast of Western Australia, and HMAS Canberra recently completed First of Class flight trials with a range of military helicopters from Army and Navy.

During these activities, a propulsion issue was identified aboard HMAS Canberra and she is currently alongside in Sydney being inspected.

As a prudent measure, the same inspections were conducted on HMAS Adelaide and identified emergent issues.

Having identified these emergent issues the Australian Defence Force has put in place a very deliberate plan to investigate the issue and resolve it. 

It is too early to determine the extent of this emergent work and Defence is working to identify the causes and develop a repair strategy.

These inspections have had no impact on Defence meeting its operational tasks.

TW Barrett, AO, CSC - Vice Admiral, RAN - Chief of Navy
Aardvark
Posted: May 18 2017, 10:42 AM
Quote Post

ABC News article regarding Adelaide and Canberra.

https://a.msn.com/r/2/BBBeflk?m=en-au&ocid=News

PMEmail Poster
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0265 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]