Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Raaf Rank Abbreviations
Dean
Posted: Mar 20 2006, 12:27 PM
Quote Post

ADF Serials Aircrew Research

Group: ADF Serials Team
Member No.: 20

Okay, this has been bothering me for sometime but what are the period abbreviations for the various RAAF ranks. I started out using the modern style of rank abbreviations but have inadvertantly found I am using different styles so I want to remain consistant with the period.

An example is the junior Officer rank of Flying Officer

Flying Officer (full)
Flg Off
F/O
FLGOFF (modern abbreviation).

Gordy, I know you may be able to help.
PMEmail Poster
Warhawk
  Posted: Mar 20 2006, 07:22 PM
Quote Post

ADF Serials Research Co-ord

Group: ADF Serials Admin
Member No.: 82

Dear Dean,

I should talk.

I've been using Lac instead of LAC for Leading Aircraftman!

Right, depending on records I'll be using the following in all data:

Am for Airman
Lac for Leading Aircraftman
Cpl for Corporal
Sgt for Sergeant
F/Sgt for Flight Sergeant
W/O for Warrant Officer

F/O for Flying Officer
P/O for Pilot Officer
F/Lt for Flight Lieutenant
Sqn Ldr for Squadron Leader
Wg Cdr for Wing Commander
GpCpt for Group Captain

Above that,."Headsheds"

Your feedback would be appreciated, as others in maintaining uniformity

Best
Gordy
PMEmail Poster
Dean
Posted: Mar 20 2006, 08:29 PM
Quote Post

Hi Gordy,
I started using the modern day abbreviations until sometime ago when I converted everything up to about the 1970's when the more modern versions came into being , which I think would have been the same time when they introduced the "Bus Conductor" uniform.

But these are my current abbreviations. I have been undecided how I should have Warrant Officer abbreviated, either as W/O or W/Off but as it is in the list it appears to as the modern version and I would like to keep things in period form.

AC/W
AC1/AC2
Lac
Cpl
Sgt
F/Sgt
WOFF
Plt Off
Flg Off
Flt Lt
Sqn Ldr
Wg Cdr
Gp Capt
PMEmail Poster
darren.crick
Posted: Mar 20 2006, 09:36 PM
Quote Post

ADF Serials Webmaster

Member No.: 2

Guys,

Grahame Higgs put together some, check the link at the bottom of each page on the website...

Darren
PMUsers Website
gordon
Posted: Mar 26 2006, 03:55 PM
Quote Post

ADF Serials Webmaster

Member No.: 30

Ok the abbreviations I use are for WW2 because that is my main interest and my book deals with that era too.

A/C
A/C1
L/A/C
Cpl
Sgt
F/Sgt
W/O

P/O
F/O
F/L
S/L
W/C
G/C
A/C
A/V/M

They don't list anything higher than that because the highest ranking officers were Bostock, Jones and Bennett. All of whom were A/V/M.

These abbrev. were used from at least 1938 until the funny ranking system the RAAF dabbled with around the time of the Korean War.

These abbrev. come from RAAF Saga, RAAF Log, These Eagles and Victory Roll.

Gordon

ps. I think these abbrev. (with the exception of A/C and L/A/C) are much easier and better on the eye than the current abbrev. As Shakespeare is reported to have said, "Brevity is the soul of wit"
and I say "Brevity is the soul of non-touch typists" ;)
PM
rhughes
Posted: Apr 29 2006, 01:43 PM
Quote Post

New User

Group: Members
Member No.: 42

Colleagues - just to confuse the issue further, with a historical (or hysterical) footnote, in the mid 1980's the RAAF, along with bus conductor uniforms, introduced for a brief period the rank of SGT (Air) and F/SGT (Air) to denote aircrew status. These were primarily for maritime aircrew. Originally the role of pilot, navigator and Airborne Electronic Officer (AEO) were all officer positions.

However NCO of the rank of SGT and F/SGT were encouraged to apply for training as Airborne Electronic Analysts (AEA's) to supplement the limited pool of AEO's on P-3's at the time.

Furthermore, I recall that SGT's who were trained to be analysts were promoted automatically to F/SGT (Air), and if they ceased flying were relegated back to SGT status.

Of course that went down like a lead balloon with the non-flying SGT's and F/SGT's, particularly when sorting out mess access. The system only lasted a couple of years and was scrapped,

regards, roy hughes
PMEmail Poster
herkman
Posted: Apr 29 2006, 08:40 PM
Quote Post

Lockheed Hercules (A97)

Member No.: 6

The latest RAAF news shows the current abreviated rank structure

Regards

Col
PMEmail Poster
Dean
Posted: Apr 29 2006, 09:39 PM
Quote Post

QUOTE (rhughes @ Apr 29 2006, 01:43 PM)
Colleagues - just to confuse the issue further, with a historical (or hysterical) footnote, in the mid 1980's the RAAF, along with bus conductor uniforms, introduced for a brief period the rank of SGT (Air) and F/SGT (Air) to denote aircrew status. These were primarily for maritime aircrew. Originally the role of pilot, navigator and Airborne Electronic Officer (AEO) were all officer positions.

However NCO of the rank of SGT and F/SGT were encouraged to apply for training as Airborne Electronic Analysts (AEA's) to supplement the limited pool of AEO's on P-3's at the time.

Furthermore, I recall that SGT's who were trained to be analysts were promoted automatically to F/SGT (Air), and if they ceased flying were relegated back to SGT status.

Of course that went down like a lead balloon with the non-flying SGT's and F/SGT's, particularly when sorting out mess access. The system only lasted a couple of years and was scrapped,

regards, roy hughes

Hi Roy,
This sounds awfully familiar to the "Pilot" ranks they introduced in the late 40's after the RAF introduced them.

When non-commissioned pilots graduated they were given the Rank of Pilot 4 (or P4) and was distinguished by wearing a laurel wreath badge on both arms, in the normal position on non-commissioned officer stripes, with one star inside the wreath denoting the rank of Pilot 4. This allowed the wearer to enter the SGT's Mess but for disciplinary purposes it was rated below the rank of corporal.

After six months, a Pilot 4 was promoted to Pilot 3, equal in general status to a Sergeant, but lower for disciplinary purposes. In the end the system was unworkable as a pilot could be flying operations, and then find himself rostered for guard or picquet duty that night. Fortunately it was dispensed with in 1950.

This system also applied to Signallers who graduated as S4 and so on.
PMEmail Poster
gordon
Posted: Jun 5 2006, 04:00 PM
Quote Post

ADF Serials Webmaster

Dean and Roy,

Sounds like adding several layers of complexity to a simple system.

Either of u know when the P4 P3 etc grading came in and when dropped? From the ORBs they were using WW2 ranking system until at least mid-1948 and were still using the P4 etc system in Korea in late 1950.

Gordon
PM
Dean
Posted: Jun 6 2006, 11:12 PM
Quote Post

That's right Gordon. That is the period when this system was used. It was an unnecessary change but it shows that we were still following the British way of doing things and perhaps blindly following the RAF with what they did.

Sometimes what might look good on paper won't actually be so good in the end.
PMEmail Poster
gordon
Posted: Jun 7 2006, 01:10 PM
Quote Post

ADF Serials Webmaster

Thanks Dean.

So roughly from mid-1948 till end of 1950.

Gordon (The Correct) :P
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0279 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]