Quote Post

FA-18F Super Hornet (A44)

Group: ADF Serials Admin
Member No.: 27

From the Canberra Times

"Sabre rattling over plane
BY DAVID ELLERY
10 Sep, 2011 12:00 AM
The Australian War Memorial has spent an estimated $100,000 to import a Sabre fighter jet from New Zealand, despite having had an original example of the same plane on its books since the mid-1990s.

''In July 2011, the memorial took delivery of an Australian-built CAC Sabre jet,'' a spokeswoman said.

''AWM staff flew to New Zealand in late June and spent a week packing the aircraft and a substantial number of spare parts into two containers for transport to Australia.''

The same plane had been passed in at $70,000 in an online auction in 2008.

AWM officials have confirmed that, when it goes on display at the Big Things In Store exhibition next weekend, the plane will be wearing American markings.

This has angered purists, including former memorial director and Sabre pilot, retired Air Vice-Marshal Jim Flemming.

Air Vice-Marshal Flemming told The Canberra Times that, during his time at the memorial in the early 1980s, it was clearly understood the RAAF had promised a Sabre to the institution.

That promise came to fruition in 1997 when Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation Sabre A94-970 was allocated.

When, after having stored the plane for a decade, the RAAF asked the memorial what it wanted to do with the jet, they were told they could keep it.

''The AWM was offered A94-970 via the RAAF several years ago but the aircraft was incomplete and had very limited provenance so the memorial declined - with thanks,'' the spokeswoman said.

Those comments have mystified aviation buffs, who said the plane had been complete and had a distinguished history - unlike the New Zealand plane, which has spent much of its later life in America, where it was made over into a replica of a US Air Force's Korean War fighter ace's plane.

Sources have said A94-970 was extensively refurbished by RAAF apprentices at Wagga Wagga in the mid-1980s before going to the Richmond air base.

It was taken to Point Cook in Melbourne for storage in 1997 after being allocated to the memorial.

When AWM staff said ''thanks, but no thanks,'' Point Cook workers used its wings on A94-983, the airworthy RAAF-owned Sabre on loan to the Temora Aviation Museum.

The Canberra Times was told nothing had been taken from the aircraft until the AWM walked away from it.

The claim the plane had ''limited provenance'' has also been questioned, with sources saying it was one of the first flight of Australian Sabres to land at the Butterworth Air Force Base in Malaysia in late 1958.

A Defence insider said it was remarkable that the AWM had gone across the Tasman for a Sabre.

''There are at least two RAAF planes they could have had access to in Australia,'' he said."

The Sabre imported is A94-954, the ex-Zucolli example

http://www.adf-gallery.com.au/gallery/Sabre-A94-954

PM
Rod Farquhar
Posted: Sep 11 2011, 11:44 AM
Quote Post

C-17A Globemaster III (A41)

Group: ADF Serials Team
Member No.: 4

Why on earth would you want to display an Australian built Sabre as an American F-86 anyway?? They are significantly different aircraft, what is the connection to the AWM??

As an aside 970 was a non flying training aid given to the Indonesians.

Rod. <_<

This post has been edited by Rod Farquhar on Sep 11 2011, 11:45 AM
PMEmail Poster
Martin Edwards
Posted: Sep 11 2011, 03:04 PM
Quote Post

The USAF scheme was applied when -954 was stateside with Saunders Aviation
"Moved on to Planes of Fame at Chino who displayed it at their Fighter Jets Museum hangar painted as USAF 51-2747/FU-747. "Honest John" (For those interested in the story behind this paint scheme it represents an F-86E Sabre that was flown in the Korean War by Col. Walker (Bud) Mahurin, the World War 2 Ace. He commanded the 4th Fighter Group before being shot down, in another Sabre, on 13/05/52 and becoming a POW.) "
so I guess it had significance to the yanks.
The scheme was slighty modified when in possession of the Reid family in New Zealand.
I would of thought that a return to an authentic RAAF sheme is planned but won't happen before it goes on display at the Big Things In Store open day next wekend.
The bottom line is its future is looking good.

I don't think -970 ever left Australia, it was probably used to train TNI-AU personell here (pictured at Wagga March 1983)

Attached Image
Attached Image
PM
Martin Edwards
Posted: Sep 14 2011, 12:04 PM
Quote Post

Here she is at the AWM Treloar Technology Centre.

Attached Image
Attached Image
PM
Brendan Cowan
Posted: Sep 14 2011, 01:22 PM
Quote Post

Messageboard Co-ordinator

Member No.: 48

Well,

If nothing else, she appears to be in good shape.

BC
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
davesoda
Posted: Sep 14 2011, 09:20 PM
Quote Post

Gloster Meteor (A77)

Member No.: 404

I dont understang what all the fuss is about the Sabre being in a 'national' collection. Isnt it good that a Sabre has returned home?
PMEmail Poster
Daniel Leahy
Posted: Oct 26 2012, 09:42 AM
Quote Post

Bell Iroquois (A2)

Group: Members
Member No.: 384

The Sabre was still in USAF markings when I visited Treloar back in June.

I believe John White mentioned that this aircraft served for some time in Thailand and had also served with other RAAF Sabre units (I haven't bothered to check this up), so that's why it was deemed an 'important' example.

This post has been edited by Daniel Leahy on Feb 20 2014, 05:53 PM

Attached Image
Attached Image
PMEmail Poster
Rod Farquhar
Posted: Oct 26 2012, 01:42 PM
Quote Post

954 was at 2 OCU when this pic was taken around 1969, the Colour scheme was a trial one to differentiate between Instructional and Operational flights of 2 OCU Sabre.
Rod

Attached Image
Attached Image
PMEmail Poster
Rod Farquhar
Posted: Oct 26 2012, 01:56 PM
Quote Post

And yes it was at Butterworth and Ubon, I took this pic in late 1966, we had been put on full alert the night before, hence four aircraft were on ORP that day.
Turned out to be a false alarm, I found out many years later that mist in mountain valleys in Laos had given a false reading on LION radar.
Rod

Attached Image
Attached Image
PMEmail Poster
Brendan Cowan
Posted: Oct 26 2012, 03:29 PM
Quote Post

Messageboard Co-ordinator

Member No.: 48

Nice ones Rod,

I've heard of Weather Reconnaisance, but getting ready to launch 4 from the ORP for a Weather CAP?

:lol:

As always, great pics too!

BC
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0367 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]