> Patches of RAN units (1980's)
Brugal
Posted: Sep 7 2013, 10:42 PM
Quote Post

CAC Sabre (A94)

Group: ADF Serials Team
Member No.: 203

Hi guys,

I am looking for good quality images of patches used by the Squadrons that flew the S-2 Trackers, Macchi MB.326 and A-4 Skyhawks in the 1980's.....

Any link available?

Thanks all there down under :lol:

Brugal
PMEmail Poster
Dave Masterson
Posted: Sep 8 2013, 03:14 PM
Quote Post

C-17A Globemaster III (A41)

Group: Members
Member No.: 25

Brugal

I have some Squadron patches here, that I can scan for you. Luig would have a few that he could send through. Luig would have the Skyhawk and Macchi patches I would say.

This post has been edited by Dave Masterson on Sep 8 2013, 03:15 PM
PMEmail Poster
Luig
Posted: Sep 8 2013, 06:01 PM
Quote Post

FA-18F Super Hornet (A44)

Member No.: 80

Brugal, Do you have a figure for 'good quality' images.

There are examples of what I have in the PDFs online. I can easily upload pages with these badges but making 'good quality' images of them is another task altogether depending on what you mean by that.

Pixel size and graphic format would be good. For example 800x600 pixels in JPG or whatever other format or size. OK?

VC-724 was the training squadron with Macchi MB-326Hs and the T/A4G Skyhawks with VF-805 being the front line carrier squadron with only A4Gs.

Here is an example compilation (modelled after an A-4 Association Graphic from many years ago now):

http://a4skyhawk.org/2e/australia/australia.htm

http://a4skyhawk.org/sites/a4skyhawk.org/f...es-thompson.jpg

This URL above will get you the LARGE version of the small version attached.

Probably I do not have any badges other than the jet badges though. There are good examples of the squadron badges (modernised slightly) online in the Navy Official websites.

This post has been edited by Luig on Sep 8 2013, 06:07 PM

Attached Image
Attached Image
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Luig
Posted: Sep 8 2013, 06:53 PM
Quote Post

At 6.6Mb the PDF can be e-mailed if the SkyDrive Location is a problem. Just give me your e-mail.

Otherwise in the 'FAA A-4G Skyhawk RAN PDFs' folder on Microsoft SkyDrive is this PDF "Jet Badges RANFAA.pdf"

I have no specific Macchi badge nor do I know of one except Macchi trained RAN pilots may have had one generic badge - certainly their pilot course badge would be unique. This PDF has my no.67 pilot course badges (for Winjeel and Vampire).

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=cbcd63d63407...6340707E6%21119

I have only one or two S-2 badges. Anyway if the 'SpazSinbad' page on Microsoft Skydrive (above) is a problem (you have to register for free to download PDFs) then the same file can be uploaded to GoogleDrive SpazSinbad page but there also FREE registration required.
Rod Farquhar
Posted: Sep 8 2013, 10:11 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 4

Hi Brugal
Go to this web site and select the RAN option, there are some Sqn badges there.

http://www.airforcebadges.ca/raaf5%20-%20other.html

Cheers
Rod
PMEmail Poster
Luig
Posted: Sep 8 2013, 10:22 PM
Quote Post

OK - I'll bite:

http://a4skyhawk.org/2e/australia/vc724/australia-724.htm
&
http://a4skyhawk.org/2e/australia/vf805/australia-vf805.htm

The third roundel black with red/white chequers is not a JET logo but the now defunct recent helicopter version of 805 squadron (now disbanded) NOT the old jet squadron VF-805. There is a difference. Why the helo logo is there I have no idea but that's life.

MODERNISED old squadron crests (not really badges) are here:

http://www.navy.gov.au/about/organisation/fleet-air-arm

This post has been edited by Luig on Sep 8 2013, 10:24 PM
Brugal
Posted: Sep 8 2013, 10:50 PM
Quote Post

CAC Sabre (A94)

Thanks all for the kind reply, great help. I was surprised to read that the Macchi flyers did not have any (?) generic patch of themselves :huh:
If my memorie serves me right, I have seen a late '70's picture in a magazine (don't recall the name, but will figure that out) a patch of a MACCHI MB326 silhouette with a sort kind of sea bird (Albtaross?)....

However, thanks for the sharing the links.
Another question comes to my mind; did the CAG also used patches from their deployments or exercises? It's well common with their US navy counterparts!

Thanks all there, have a nice day.

Rico 'Brugal' Angerman
PMEmail Poster
Luig
Posted: Sep 9 2013, 07:00 AM
Quote Post

Brugal,
I think what you recall is the special 'one off' RAN Macchi in the blue/white colour scheme which had a yellow albatross profile in flight on the tail. This Macchi was used mostly at beginning by the CO / Captain of HMAS Albatross (a non-pilot seaman officer) to learn how to fly but only under instruction with always the Senior Pilot of VC-724 LCDR Al Hickling in the rear seat - the Captain never went solo but was able to fly under these circumstances. It was called 'the admirals barge' after such a small boat often aboard HMAS Melbourne or the flagship which was the special conveyance of the captain/admiral at the time. This boat was always in immaculate condition because it would visit other foreign warships at sea / in harbour representing the RAN etc.

In the RAN the Macchi MB326H was only ever a training aircraft similarly used for advanced jet training in the RAAF. To the RAN it was not the same as the Sea Venom later used as a utility/advanced jet training aircraft (compared to the Vampire which was in the same category earlier as the Macchi later). To my experience patches were few and far between for aircraft with the squadron logo usually only one. Remember there were only TWO jet squadrons (at beginning there was a third briefly - 808 Sqdn).

When the front line squadrons with CAG often for example VF-805 would disembark at NAS Barbers Point in Hawaii to be hosted by VC-1 squadron. They were the 'Aliis' (Hawaiian Warriors) with at that time a spectacular squadron paint scheme on their Skyhawks. They would present VF-805 with a VC-1 Squadron patch - even though we did not fly their aircraft we might have flown with them in our own aircraft. I wore such a patch. Usually these patches indicate that the pilot concerned has flown with that squadron - even if only once. I'll post that VC-1 patch also.

You will have to keep in mind that in those days such cotton patches were not easy to source and were often very expensive due to the limited run of them. For example when with VF-805 on cruise another aircrew offered to buy leather name tags for any interested. Trouble was the shop overseas made them with USN wings rather than RAN FAA wings (you see this example in the PDF) - the manufacturer did not know the difference or that there was any. Today cotton patches are a big business online with often outright fake patches and of course recreated patches. Back in the 1970s these plus 'genuine' flight jackets were not available to the public. For example there were few A-4 Skyhawk patches (all given by the manufacturer). Then an enterprising person had a zillion made overseas for our groundcrew - which was a good thing to do - so mostly our jet ground crew had a Skyhawk patch (without the logo on top - usually pilots had that extra bit as seen in the PDF).
MACCHI 862

This post has been edited by Luig on Sep 9 2013, 07:14 AM

Attached Image
Attached Image
Luig
Posted: Sep 9 2013, 07:23 AM
Quote Post

In my time with the RAN FAA early 1970s I only recall some special squadron patches for other squadrons (such as the 'SUB ZAPPERS' for HS-817 Helo ASW Squadron front line or the fabulous VS-816 ASW Tracker Squadron "Smarter Than Your Average Tiger" patch. Later most likely these special patches may have become more common for whatever practical reason. My 4.4GB PDF online at those places or the individual aircraft PDFs will have examples of these special patches. Best to download those I think. Meanwhile...

VC-1 'Aliis' NAS Barbers Point FLECOMPRON ONE - Fleet Composite Squadron One

This post has been edited by Luig on Sep 9 2013, 07:28 AM

Attached Image
Attached Image
Nick Thorne
Posted: Sep 9 2013, 03:53 PM
Quote Post

Bell Iroquois (A2)

Member No.: 6,053

I have an 816 "Piston Amazed" patch here somewhere (circa 1981-2). I'll see if I can find it and scan it, if anyone's interested.

This post has been edited by Nick Thorne on Sep 9 2013, 03:54 PM
PMEmail Poster
Dave Masterson
  Posted: Sep 9 2013, 04:31 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 25

Count me in Nick :D
PMEmail Poster
Luig
Posted: Sep 9 2013, 07:26 PM
Quote Post

Here it is

This post has been edited by Luig on Sep 9 2013, 07:28 PM

Attached Image
Attached Image
Luig
Posted: Sep 9 2013, 07:38 PM
Quote Post

and anotherie

Attached Image
Attached Image
Brugal
Posted: Sep 10 2013, 01:26 AM
Quote Post

CAC Sabre (A94)

Oh guys, thanks for those patches.... I love them too much. Luig; thanks for your great reply..... not only answer my questions but also many interesting notes from historical part. I realise that you guys must have enough material to publish a book one day dedicated to the A-4 Skyhawk in RAN service.... perhaps also from other types.

Again, thanks for all the answers..... continue work things out.

Luig; are you interested in a book on Argentine navy A-4Q? I have involved in this book with some pictures and historical research.... maybe you like one for your bookshelf :lol:

Cheers all there Down under.

Rico
PMEmail Poster
Luig
Posted: Sep 10 2013, 04:53 AM
Quote Post

Brugal,
All the material I have about the RAN FAA A4G is in the 4.4GB PDFs online at SkyDrive and GoogleDrive. Some of that material is replicated in the smaller PDFs about individual A4G PDFs or a single PDF about the 20. Other RAN FAA fixed wing aircraft particularly are in individual PDFs but mostly if you download the 4.4GB PDF you will get the lot including helicopters of the RAN FAA.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=cbcd63d63407...6340707E6%21932

In the "__FINAL_2aug13_A4G_4-4GB-PDF" FOLDER is:

FINAL_A4G-FAA_Scrapbook_02aug2013_9,751ppFINALv11.pdf 4.4GB

I have finished work on the 4.4GB PDF. Now I work on the 'how to deck land' PDF to get that up to date and keep it under 4.4GBs so that people can archive it on a PDF.

Similarly: "4.4GB PDF A4G Skyhawks RAN FAA" FOLDER is: (the same PDF)

https://drive.google.com/?authuser=0#folder...VE0zbndkMlczQlU

Will the A-4Q book be in English?

This post has been edited by Luig on Sep 10 2013, 04:57 AM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0394 ]   [ 11 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]