Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Harrier Landing
Aardvark
Posted: Jun 25 2014, 09:11 PM
Quote Post

General Dynamics F-111 (A8)

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,706

Don't know what an F-35B will do, but I will probably be told, but this is a Harrier landing without NLG. So that is a 4 wheel landing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGAOpXKSXfo&feature=youtu.be
PMEmail Poster
Luig
Posted: Jun 26 2014, 01:39 AM
Quote Post

FA-18F Super Hornet (A44)

Group: ADF Serials Team
Member No.: 80

No telling what can be told about the F-35B in a similar situation - only guesswork and your guess would be as good as mine. Very nice that it all worked so well and a big BZ to all concerned including: the pilot - LSO and the chap who invented the stool.

In the past the RN had landed a SHAR onboard with gear problems just on the drop tanks (empty) or just on the belly without wheels - not sure now - I guess info is on the internet.

What was bad was in the past a USMC Col. ordered a no wheel trainer Harrier to land on a pile of mattresses. No kidding. Big problem eventuated. Also to be found on the internet.

What will make a BIG difference with the F-35B is that the pilot will be able to see through the floor with the HMDS II/III to view the nosewheel in relation to a suitable stool (if that is deemed necessary). Seems to me that earlier test pilots when trialling onboard USS Wasp during DT I complained that their biggest worry was putting the nosewheel on the spot - all the rest was easy.

This post has been edited by Luig on Jun 26 2014, 04:40 AM

Attached Image
Attached Image
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Ron Cuskelly
Posted: Jun 26 2014, 06:52 AM
Quote Post

General Dynamics F-111 (A8)

Member No.: 83

Most impressive. I suppose it's called a stool because of the padded "seat" but I just wish they'd call it a trestle and not a stool. There could be a few of them inside the cockpit I reckon!

Rgds
PMEmail Poster
Luig
Posted: Jun 26 2014, 09:05 AM
Quote Post

B) Exactly :rolleyes: :D Skiddies/Skid Marks all over the place [on your Uderps (undies)]. A good old RAN FAA expression back in the day was:

"Suck Back in the Hold Back" (have second thoughts or conniptions waiting to be catapulted). Them Twere Days.

This post has been edited by Luig on Jun 26 2014, 09:14 AM
Dave Masterson
Posted: Jun 26 2014, 12:15 PM
Quote Post

C-17A Globemaster III (A41)

Group: Members
Member No.: 25

Good stuff Aardvark, thanks for posting. Well done to the pilot. :D

This post has been edited by Dave Masterson on Jun 26 2014, 12:16 PM
PMEmail Poster
Luig
Posted: Jun 27 2014, 01:08 PM
Quote Post

That original video above had been removed to be replaced elsewhere by this same one:

AV-8B no gear landing on USS Bataan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9tvdjDAr1U
Luig
Posted: Jun 27 2014, 05:12 PM
Quote Post

From an e-mail: I guess why the STOOL was invented.
"Ya just gotta weep: This is what happens when your superiors don't understand the rules. What to do when your landing gear won't come down explanation below. To quote the guy who showed the pics:

"Basically, the nose gear wouldn't come done. The Harrier has a backup system with a nitrogen bottle to blow the gear down in this event. Well, someone significantly outranking the pilot ordered him not to blow the gear down (which is the specified emergency procedure) because by his 'superior' reasoning, if the nose gear didn't come down, he was afraid the jet would break its back by having all that weight on the long nose of the T-bird. With that, he elected to gather mattresses and strap them down to support the extended nose, and you have the obvious result.

'Normally' a Harrier that can't get it's gear to come down will suck up the gear and do a vertical landing on the strakes/gun pack, they'll jack the bird up, fix the gear, and it's back to flying rather quickly. In this case, the motor was hilariously trashed with mattress springs protruding out and everything. This has since become a legendary event in the Harrier community (rather small community) and is laughed about often. The best part was, when they jacked the plane up in the hangar and pulled the gear handle to blow them down, all 4 came down and locked in place."

Attached Image
Attached Image
Luig
Posted: Jun 29 2014, 01:48 AM
Quote Post

Marine pilot uses stool to land safely after malfunction 28 June 2014 By Kate Wiltrout, The Virginian-Pilot
"...The landing signal officer talked him in, making sure the Harrier was properly aligned before clearing him to land.

He idled the engine. The working landing gear hit the deck. He felt the nose drop.

“It dropped more than I expected,” he said. “But at that point, I was along for the ride.”

Mahoney had landed squarely on the middle of the stool. The nose bounced once and came to rest.

Adrenaline rushing, hands quivering, it took him a moment to remember how to shut off the jet.

“It was a pretty big relief,” he said in the video. “I didn’t realize how much I was shaking until I got out of the aircraft.”..."

http://hrana.org/news/2014/06/marine-pilot...er-malfunction/

This post has been edited by Luig on Jun 29 2014, 01:49 AM
Luig
Posted: Aug 14 2014, 03:34 PM
Quote Post

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0353 ]   [ 11 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]