Quote Post

Messageboard Co-ordinator

Group: ADF Serials Admin
Member No.: 48

Minister for Defence Media Mail List
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monday, 19 June 2006 096/2006

MRH 90 TO REPLACE SEA KING AND BLACK HAWK HELICOPTERS

I am pleased to announce that Government has approved a $ 2 billion acquisition of thirty-four MRH 90 helicopters to replace Navy’s Sea King and Army’s Black Hawk helicopters.

The selection of the MRH 90 complements the Government’s decision in 2004 to acquire an initial twelve MRH 90 helicopters as Army’s additional troop lift helicopter. Delivery of the first twelve is scheduled from December 2007 through to December 2009.

The 34 additional MRH 90s will be assembled in Brisbane. When delivered, the MRH 90s will be based at RAAF base Townsville, Holsworthy Barracks in Sydney and HMAS Albatross in Nowra. A contingent will also be based at a joint training facility at Oakey in Queensland.

The new twin-engine troop lift helicopters will provide opportunities for joint fleet management. These benefits include greater operational flexibility and efficiency through common operational, training and logistic systems and a capability to rotate personnel, aircraft, spare parts and role-specific equipment between troop lift, special operations and maritime support commitments.

The MRH 90 is an extremely capable helicopter featuring a modern damage tolerant design, a large cabin volume with ramp and enhanced levels of marinisation.

The Sea Kings will be retired in 2010, followed by the Black Hawks which will be progressively replaced between 2011 and 2015.

As these MRH 90 aircraft will be assembled in Australia this acquisition of at least 34 aircraft will provide significant opportunities for Australian industry and the Australian Defence Force (ADF) will gain an operating capability within a relatively short time-frame.

The emphasis of the Australian industry package, worth $1.2 billion, is on the development and sustainment of critical aircraft mission system capability. The long term viability of the Australian MRH 90 assembly line will be maximized, ensuring greater development of the skill base required to support the MRH 90 into the future through a strategy aimed at promoting Australian industry as part of the Eurocopter global supply chain.

Media contacts
Nigel Blunden
(Dr Nelson)
02 6277 7800 or 0407 632 931

Defence Media Liaison
02 6265 3343 or 0408 498 664
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Dave Masterson
Posted: Jun 19 2006, 05:06 PM
Quote Post

C-17A Globemaster III (A41)

Group: Members
Member No.: 25

Seakings retiring in 2010 eh. Boy that will give them 35years of service. Not bad. These new helicopters sound impressive. Looking forward to seeing one in Navy colours. :)
PMEmail Poster
Brendan Cowan
Posted: Jun 19 2006, 05:11 PM
Quote Post

Time for the museums to put their hands up for a Sea King I would say too!

;)

Cheers

BC
Brendan Cowan
Posted: Jun 19 2006, 05:12 PM
Quote Post

I wonder if they have a "noseless" Sea King just for us at ADF-Serials?

:huh:

BC
Demon50
Posted: Jun 19 2006, 05:47 PM
Quote Post

Lockheed Hercules (A97)

Group: ADF Serials Team
Member No.: 47

Fingers crossed that we can get this right - no cost overruns, surprises or unsatisfactory performance. Let's also hope that the NH90 works as advertised and is not unnecessarily "Australianised" which seems to be the major problem with so many acquisitions.

Are the ADF's needs really that different to our allies or Australian conditions so unlike anything else in the world that requires major changes to already proven airframes and systems ?

So, I wonder how many for the Navy - perhaps 4-6, at most 10 ? I suspect no ASW role and they will be used as a transport, very much like the USMC's CH46s.

It won't be a one for one replacement of the Blackhawk and Sea King and the 12 already on order for the Army were supposed to SUPPLEMENT not replace existing airframes - ie give the ADF an increase in helicopter support.

Now that the NH90 is also seen as a Sea King replacement, I suspect that the 46 NH90s will be seen as adequate for the Army and Navy needs without giving the ADF any real increase at all.

OK, I know the NH90 can carry up to twenty troops but as I mentioned in another thread, in Army service it will be more than adequate to transport one infantry section but not big enough for two. So does the Army split its platoons when being airlifted or will at least three NH90 sorties be required as I suspect is the case with the Blackhawk ?

I'm just an armchair strategist and sometime cynic but I do think that something is not quite right with the numbers.

And if the Blackhawks are being replaced from 2011, how long before the Seahawks need replacing as they are the same vintage and must surely operate in much more difficult conditions.

What can replace the Seahawks ?

PM
Warhawk
Posted: Jun 19 2006, 08:44 PM
Quote Post

ADF Serials Research Co-ord

Member No.: 82

True Boys,

Being a part-time arm chair strategist myself, it was nothing that wasn't herald when we had that earlier discussion.

I noticed in this month's Australian Aviation, that we were all on the money concerning the SeaSprite verses a SeaHawk armed with penguins!!! "Should have bought another 6" they say 10 years ago,...crikey,..if all of us can get it,..why can't they earlier??

What's the next bet,......4-6 more Chooks to be a Caribou replacement!!!

Lay odds though, that 16-18 S-70A9's are held on strength for disaster deployment/Spec Ops/training. "Inter-operable with US Spec Warfare "

Better get busy on a profile?

Best
Gordy :huh:
PMEmail Poster
Demon50
Posted: Jun 19 2006, 09:01 PM
Quote Post

Lockheed Hercules (A97)

Group: ADF Serials Team
Member No.: 47

I've since read that the Army wanted more Blackhawks NOT the MRH90 which according to reports on NineMSN is already running into problems - ie not wporking as promised and years behind in delivery with the Germans considering cancelling their order.

And the Labour Party wants a "guarantee" from the Government that this purchase won't have the same problems as others.

Perhaps somebody should ask the Labour pollies for a "guarantee" not to ask such stupid questions !!!

WITHIH ???????????????????
PM
Warhawk
  Posted: Jul 12 2006, 09:16 PM
Quote Post

ADF Serials Research Co-ord

Member No.: 82

LMGO!!!! :lol:
PMEmail Poster
darren.crick
Posted: Aug 14 2006, 05:52 PM
Quote Post

ADF Serials Webmaster

Member No.: 2

Perhaps the risk associated with these programs should be tied to pollies and high ranking military people pays/super scheme's... :o)

do you think that would improve the choice?
PMUsers Website
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0344 ]   [ 11 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]