> Kalkara, General Arrangement Drawing & Dimensions
redroo
  Posted: Jun 27 2006, 02:44 PM
Quote Post

Maurice Farman MF.11 Shorthorn (CFS)

Group: Members
Member No.: 34

:D G'Day Fellas,

I'm just wondering if anyone visiting this board has a general arrangement drawing of the Kalkara showing the usual length, width, height, etc, they might be willing to share. I'm trying to come up with accurate (confirmatory) measurements of those Dick Hourigan and myself previously made on the preserved Kalkara at the Nowra museum.

We have approached BAe USA and the RAN and they are searching for us too! Any help for this modelling project much appreciated.

Cheers,

Gary
PMEmail Poster
darren.crick
Posted: Jun 28 2006, 11:20 PM
Quote Post

ADF Serials Webmaster

Group: ADF Serials Admin
Member No.: 2

Can only suggest you try Bob Geale... I can give you an email contact... you can email me or use the contact page on the adf-serials.com website.
PMUsers Website
Luig
Posted: Oct 26 2006, 12:31 AM
Quote Post

FA-18F Super Hornet (A44)

Group: ADF Serials Team
Member No.: 80

[QUOTE=darren.crick,Jun 28 2006, 11:20 PM]Can only suggest you try Bob Geale... I can give you an email contact... you can email me or use the contact page on the adf-serials.com website.[/QUOTE]
Gary, This is only a side event (not what you were after) but may have some interest to you:
http://www.asasi.org/papers/2001/Kalkara%20Investigation.pdf

Another recent snippet from the Navy News website:

http://www.defence.gov.au/news/NAVYNEWS/editions/4917/topstories/story08.htm

Kalkara gets the big tick
FIRED UP: The 100th successful firing of Kalkara from HMAS Stirling.
Volume 49, No. 17 , September 21, 2006
By LCDR Bob Ferry

The Kalkara Unmanned Aerial Target System (UATS) achieved the significant milestone of Operational Release (OR) on August 10.

The first Kalkara flight was conducted from Jervis Bay on June 19, 1998. Kalkara has also operated from HMAS Stirling and the Woomera Weapons Range in South Australia.

During the OR process the Kalkara system was subject to the rigors of being awarded an Australian Military Type Certificate (AMTC) and became a world leader by being the first UAV in the world to successfully achieve a full AMTC in August 2000.

Today most UAV/UAT systems in the world follow the Kalkara example and hold an AMTC or equivalent for their country of operation.
To date the Kalkara has proven to be a most valuable asset to the ADF as it was the target system used for the introduction of three of the latest missile systems including ASRAAM and AMRAAM for the RAAF, and ESSM for the RAN.

The ultimate success of Kalkara has been due to the persistence, in the face of many challenges, of a small and dedicated team who set ground-breaking standards for the UAV industry.
Both the uniform and civilian personnel involved have shown that co-operation and team work can overcome significant obstacles.

The ADF now has one of the world’s best UATS. The systems, engineering and operational management concepts developed over the last eight years are being used by other nations for their current and new generation of targets.

The Kalkara system will be the last fixed wing aircraft to be owned and operated by the RAN as the replacement, when obtained by the Joint Project 66 (JP66), is planned to be managed by the RAAF.
Phil.

This post has been edited by Luig on Nov 2 2006, 03:16 PM
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0279 ]   [ 11 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]