> The Film "green Light"
darren.crick
Posted: Mar 11 2007, 10:39 AM
Quote Post

ADF Serials Webmaster

Group: ADF Serials Admin
Member No.: 2

I recieved the following request;

I am writing to you in relation to my 93 year old father Raymond Henry Gibbins (Service No. 250423) who lives in Reservior, Victoria. I have a file containing a listing of RAAF aircraft taken from his Log Book Entries. I you may find it of some interest and use. I would have attached here but I couldn't and if I use my email address I would need your email address detail which I couldn't find on thisn site.

My father began flying in 1936 at Essendon. Subsequently he became an Assistant Flying Instructor at the Royal Victorian Aero Club and the GoldFields Aero Club at Kalgoolie and Norsman in Western Australia. With the out break for the Second World War he ferried the club's last remaining aircraft; a Gipsy Moth back to Melbourne. The trip took a couple of days.

With the cessation of civil flying he joined the RAAF. His postings were:

No 2 Instructor's Course. Point Cook: 2nd January to 1st March 1940 No 1 EFTS Parafield South Australia: 11 March - 8 November 1940 No 8 EFTS Narrandera NSW 10 November- 26 March 1941 No 1 EFTS Parafield South Australia 31 March- 10 October 1941
CFT Camden NSW 24 October 1941 -12 December 1941
No 1 SFTS ITS&F, ATS Point Cook 15 December 1941- 31 August 1944 Ferried to
PTC Mallala South Australia 4 September 1944
No position: reassigned to
No 2 ADS Mt Gambier South Australia 7 September - 18 September 1945

On discharge from the airforce he resumed flying with the Aero Club but with their relocation to Morrabbin could no longer continue his flying career.

Now for an off beat question/request. Do any of your researchers have ready access to the RAAF Unit Records? On page 7 of my file there is a notation at the top of the page stating he was involved in the making of a recruitment film called 'Green Light'. As a result of this promotion posters and bill boards appear all over Adelaide.

I was wondering whether if any of you could check out the details of the making of the film? A few years ago I tried to find out about it but could find nothing. I thought it would be nice if I could find any remaining copies of it and play it for him. However, I expect this would not be possible. If however, I could find out details about its making etc. I would be most greatful.

A note of warning. I know the film was made whilst he was at Parafield. I have a still photo and a recruitment program with his photo in it. What I cannot be so sure of is when this actually took place, what the name of the film really was and of course whether a copy of the film still exists. But I am sure it would have been recorded in the Parafield Unit Records some where. You would know a lot more about this than me. If you can help me with this I would be even more greatful.

I hope what I have sent you is of use to you and that I will hear from you in the near future

Robert Gibbins
PMUsers Website
jamboree
Posted: May 4 2007, 09:13 PM
Quote Post

Pilatus Porter (A14)

Group: Members
Member No.: 41

Robert

You could try Screensound Australia (formerly known as the National Film and Sound Archive) based in Canberra. It might be worth checking with the Australian War Memorial as well. It is not listed on their catalogue - however, they probably have a lot of stuff that is not listed.
Best wishes
Jan
PMEmail Poster
darren.crick
Posted: May 6 2007, 12:25 AM
Quote Post

ADF Serials Webmaster

Group: ADF Serials Admin
Member No.: 2

thanks Jan, I have passed this on...
PMUsers Website
jamboree
Posted: May 6 2007, 05:36 PM
Quote Post

Pilatus Porter (A14)

Group: Members
Member No.: 41

Dean

I'm hoping to pop in more often to the boards. its been a busy year so far with the new job, sister from England over on holidays and doing a unit for uni! Please email me at any time if you don't see me on the boards.

Jan
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0299 ]   [ 11 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]