> Japanese 'sally'
darren.crick
Posted: Oct 9 2007, 11:58 PM
Quote Post

ADF Serials Webmaster

Group: ADF Serials Admin
Member No.: 2

G'day all,

While searching for something totall different I came accross some Sqn record sheets which showed a captured Japanese Sally was flown from 481 Maint Sqn at Labuan by Flt M.W.Baker (406127) to Laverton on the 03/02/46.

he returned to 481 Sqn on the 04/03/46.

The Status card provided by Gordy tells us that it arrived at 1AD Laverton on 19/02/46.
Called Sally 1. At DAP Fishermans Bend? 02/05/46. The aircraft was dismantled and transported by road to Canberra and issued to the AWM. It was allowed to deteriorate to a point where it was sold for scrap around 1957. A contact at the AWM has advised that it was scrapped in Queanbeyan along with a well used DAP Beaufighter.

A search of the DAP Beaufighter page found nothing, so I cant use the Mosquito disposal/scrapping to assist us in finding a date or location.

While I await further information from the AWM, has anyone seen anything to assist us further in finding the original Japanese serial/unit or the location and date of its scrapping...

thanks
PMUsers Website
australian idle
Posted: Oct 11 2007, 12:43 AM
Quote Post

Maurice Farman MF.11 Shorthorn (CFS)

Group: Members
Member No.: 66

I can't add anything re serial or unit, but you find a nice image of the Beaufort, Betty, Lancaster and ME262 from their days in storage at Fairbairn her.

Interesting image non the less.

http://www.warbirdz.net/phpBB2/showthread.php?t=2218&highlight=beaufort
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0264 ]   [ 11 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]